Rebecca
A while ago, I made the coconut brown rice recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. We ended up having so much leftover rice, that I decided to make rice pudding, one of my favourite things to eat. I had never made it with leftover brown rice before, so this was a new experiment. Rice pudding is basically just rice that's been simmered in milk (or cream, if you want it super rich), with some sweetner added to it, until it has become thick and porridge-like. I normally follow the Barefoot Contessa's recipe, which I find works nicely (although I find the cooking time always takes longer than indicated). Anyways, I improvised on this one and it turned out very well! It actually didn't really take that long, probably because the rice was already cooked. And the coconut taste wasn't very strong either. I think I have now converted to making rice pudding with brown rice, simply because it's healthier than white rice and it tastes just as good!

Coconut Brown Rice Pudding
  • 2 cups leftover brown rice (or any rice, I guess)
  • 3-4 cups of milk/cream/soymilk (I don't know how much I added, this is just an estimate. I just kept adding more if the pudding looked too thick)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a heavy, medium pot over medium heat, combine the rice and the milk.
2. Once it warmed up a bit, add the sugar.
3. Let simmer and stir occasionally (I stirred constantly, just because I'm paranoid that stickage would occur), until the pudding is thick and creamy, and the rice grains have broken down. This part took about maybe 30 minutes.
4. Take the pudding off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
5. Pour into a bowl and cover the rice pudding with plastic wrap, making sure you place the plastic wrap right over the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
6. Chill in the fridge (or you could eat it warm!)
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
Labels: edit post
1 Response
  1. elle4Liz Says:

    mmm sounds pretty good... i would like to try a little bit one day!!
    I hope you will have some already made the next time I come over!!!


Post a Comment