Rebecca
When I was younger, my mom and I used to go strawberry picking and make jars and jars of strawberry jam. Since we haven't done that in a while, and I have been itching to make some sort of jam, I thought a peach jam would be perfect. Fresh Ontario peaches are in season (you know, those peaches that are in those trademark "Ontario Fruit" baskets that are everywhere nowadays), and I wanted to do something with them other than just eat them out of hand (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with).

I woke up actually feeling really excited at the prospect of making this jam. The recipe called for 8 cups of fruit, so I spent a good amount of time prepping for this dish. The recipe was very straight-forward, using ingredients that I already had on hand. The actual cooking-the-fruit-down-to-jam-like-consistency was a very easy process, requiring only occasional stirring.

The result? To be honest, I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to bring a couple of jars with me to school, once I move in, so I can tell you how it tastes then. Until then, make yourself some jam! I can't belive 16 peaches basically boiled down to 7 mini-jars of jam. That's some heavily concentrated peach flavour!



Fresh Peach Jam

  • 8 cups peeled, pitted, and slice peaches
  • 1 peeled, cubed apple (I used Granny Smith)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp freshly grated citrus zest (I used lemon and grapefruit, because I only had one lemon)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Put all ingredients in a large pot.
2. Cook over medium heat, for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. 3. Mash the fruit up a bit, if there are large chunks (leave the little ones...this will give your jam a nice chunky appearance).
4. Check for the right consistency: place a bit of the jam on a plate and put it in the freezer until cool. If the jam is still runny, continue cooking. If the jam is thick and jam-like, the jam is ready.
5. Ladle the jam into sterilized mason jars (to sterilize them, just stick them in a large pot of boiling water and let them boil away), and let the jam cool slightly.
6. Seal the containers with a thick layer of melted wax (make sure it's canning-safe!) and let the wax set before putting the lids on.
7. The jars should keep at room temperature (probably for a while, considering it has been sterilized and sealed).
8. Once open, keep the jam in the fridge.
Labels: edit post
2 Responses
  1. elle4Liz Says:

    omg! those jars are so cute! where'd you find them??


  2. Rebecca Says:

    I got those jars at loblaws. Haha, they were on sale for only $1 for 4 containers! I didn't even know what I wanted to use them for, I just thought they were so cute. Now (like, a year later) they've come in handy!


Post a Comment