Rebecca
I can't remember the last time I went to Taste of the Danforth. It was a looong time ago. Last Friday at 6pm was Taste of the Danforth 2009's official start. Since my Grandmother lives within walking distance to Greektown, my mom offered to go with me.

We left the house around 6pm, and arrived to see the festival in full swing. The weather was very nice and mild, so I think that also contributed to the huge crowd. It was actually pretty crowded. Line ups for food were bearable however, although they only got longer as the night progressed. Good thing we got there early and avoided all the giant line ups. My mom first went for the $5 rack of ribs at Gabby's, which was causing quite a stir.

Throughout the night, we bought different things to eat along the way. I bought a small cup of lima beans that were sauteed with tomato sauce and oregano. The beans were giant! And it was a pretty tasty dish too. We also shared what was called a "butterfly cake," which was basically a mini sponge cake filled with sweet custard, topped with whipped cream. The top of the cake was sliced off, cut into two, and then placed back on to resemble butterfly wings. Later on in our walk, we passed by Caffe Demetre's, which was selling $3.00 scoops of ice cream in a waffle cone! So, of course I had to get some. I know it was a Greek festival, and you must be thinking "what about the baklava?" Truth be told, I don't really like baklava and loukoumades. They're basically drenched in honey, and I find it to be tooth-achingly sweet. Way too sweet for me. And besides, if I ever have a craving for it, I can just walk over from my Grandmother's house!

I got back home around 10:45, and I was actually really surprised at how long we stayed at the Danforth. I had a good time, and it was nice to see everybody out and about supporting everything Greek!
Labels: edit post
1 Response
  1. elle4Liz Says:

    holy crap you guys stayed for soooooo long. i left pretty early!! i didnt even buy anything :( i only had one of jess' oysters. that was quite tasty i must say.


Post a Comment