Rebecca
When I saw limes on sale for 10 for a $1, I suddenly found myself with a whole bunch of limes. I don't normally have limes around, since we never use them for anything. I have always wanted to make a lemon meringue pie, since it is one of my favourite desserts (although I think I just like the merigue topping). Settling for a lime meringue pie, I found a recipe in Caprial's Desserts. I decided to make tartlettes, just because I like the idea of having individual desserts. I made the crust and filled the tartlettes with the curd a day ahead, since I was working all day the next day. Just before serving, I whipped up the meringue and topped the tartlettes. I don't have one of those fancy propane blow torches, so I used the broiler (for the first time! We got a new stove, and so now we actually have a functioning broiler!). I have to say, the meringue topping carmelized extremely fast! The tarts were honestly in there for like, 5 seconds, and I had to take them out because some of them were already on the verge of burning!

The recipe was originally for a 10-inch pie, but I had enough dough to make 15 individual tarlettes. I modified the recipe, which can be found at the end of this post (the modified version, not the original). I had a bit of leftover curd, and a whole ton of leftover meringue (which was turned into meringue cookies that didn't really turn out so well...). The meringue recipe was also for a brown sugar meringue (which I had never tried, or heard of before, so it was cool little venture), which gave the topping a caramel colour. It was a bit too sweet for me, so I'll probably cut back on the sugar the next time I make a meringue (nobody wants diabetes!).

Overall, I was really happy with the results, and I like the fact that most of the dessert can be made ahead. The only problem was that I didn't roll out the dough thin enough, so the crust on the tartlettes were a bit on the thick side. But it tasted like a classic lime meringue tart, and they just looked so cute!

The filled tarts ready to be cooled. Don't they look like those Chinese egg tarts?

The final plated dessert! It looks better in real life, actually. My photography sucks.

Lime Meringue Tartlettes

Crust

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Filling
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1/2 freshly squeezed lime juice
  • finely grated zest of 1 lime
  • 3/4 granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Brown Sugar Meringue
  • 5 egg whites, at room temperature
  • scant 1 cup of packed brown sugar
1. Make the crust: mix the flour with the salt in a medium bowl.
2. Cut in butter pieces with a pastry cutter, or with your fingers until it is well blended and resembles a coarse meal (kind of like the size of peas).
3. Add the water, starting off with 3 tablespoons and mix until the mixture comes together and is just moistened. If it is still crumbly, keep adding water. Try not to overmix the dough.
4. Form the dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degreees
6. Roll the dough out onto a well-floured surface and cut out circles that are big enough to fit into muffin tins (I used muffin tins because I didn't have little tart molds).
7. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, and bake until it takes on a bit of colour (mine took almost 30 minutes!)
8. Let cool completely.
9. Meanwhile, make the filling: whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, lime juice, and lime zest in a metal bowl. Add the butter.
10. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl), and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick, and has a curd-like consistency (10-15 minutes).
11. Fill the cooled tart shells with the curd and refrigerate until cold and set.
12. Make the meringue: whip the egg whites on high speed until frothy.
13. Slowly add in the brown sugar, one tablespoon at a time (to give it time to dissolve), and whip until the egg whites are able to hold a stiff peak.
14. Generously top the tarlettes with the meringue and put it under the preheated broiler for 5 seconds, until the top is toasted and browned.
15. Dig in and enjoy!
Labels: edit post
1 Response
  1. elle4Liz Says:

    yummm i think i will really enjoy this one


Post a Comment